Maple Pecan Balls (with whiskey!)
If you like bourbon, pecans and chocolate, then you’ll love these maple pecan balls. We just started making these within the past year and they’ve already become a seasonal favorite with friends and family. Think of a truffle with a little crunch and a side of booze. They’re unique, tasty, and sure to set you apart from the rest of dessert platters.
INGREDIENTS (makes 20 pecan balls)
- 2 1/2 c pecans, toasted and chopped (I use the Ninja bullet for maximum efficiency; highly recommend)
- 1 c graham crackers, crushed (again, tne ninja bullet).
- 1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 tsp salt (if you cannot handle the sodium, don’t use it!)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 c bourbon, brandy or spiced rum. non-alcoholic version: use almond extract, rum extract, or any other that may suit your taste. add a little water/juice to equal the liquid amount. We used Jim Beam Whiskey.
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 7 oz dark chocolate bark. If you prefer white or milk chocolate…go for it! We tried all of them.
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt (optional; best on the dark chocolate covered balls)
- Start crushing the pecans (Ninja bullet to the rescue). You want them to be very ground. Place aside in a large bowl.
- Next, crush the graham crackers (again, ninja bullet). These should also be crushed to almost a powder form. Add graham cracker mixture to bowl with the crushed pecans.
- Combine brown sugar and salt to the pecans and graham crackers mixture.
- Add maple syrup, bourbon, and vanilla.
- Use your hands to make sure all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Almond extract can be subbed for non-alcohol version… add water to equal liquid amount. You can also try non-alcohol rum flavoring.
- Form balls by scooping a tablespoon size amount of mixture.
- Roll in hands to form balls. CAUTION: these are not easy to form. They will fall apart a little, so it may require some extra hand work to roll into balls. Be patient! It also takes practice.
- Place balls on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Place cookie sheet in the freezer for 2 hrs. Tip: After all balls are made, roll balls again with slightly water dampened hands. This will make balls smooth before dipping in chocolate.
- Melt chocolate bark in a double boiler or microwave per directions on package.
- Dip frozen balls into chocolate, making sure to fully coat the ball. Place back on cookie sheet at room temperature.
- Pecan balls should be ready to indulge within 15-20 mins! You can refrigerate or freeze them as well.