Did you sign you up to bring an appetizer to the next family gathering or girls night in? This is the perfect hors d’oeuvre to bring along. LOVE LOVE LOVE these. Think of a jalapeño popper minus the frying and add on the bacon instead. Easy to make (and even prep for a day ahead, if preferred) and is a definite crowd-pleaser. You don’t even have to be an enemy of all things spicy. My younger sister never liked hot foods growing up and typically avoided them at all costs (which is odd, I may add, because the rest of my family is ALL ABOUT anything hot & spicy). But even SHE will eat these because the jalapeños are de-seeded, which make them less spicy. The cream cheese and bacon really add a sweet and salty flavor too. Caution: your mouth will water and you’ll want to eat more than one.
INGREDIENTS (serves 8: assume 3 jalapenos per person).
- 12 fresh jalapeño peppers (makes 24 jalapeño halves).
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbs Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbs Onion Powder
- 2 Tsp Dark Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 2 Tsp Salt (optional)
- 12 slices bacon, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Cut the jalapeño peppers in half using GLOVES (otherwise your hands will be on fire a few hours later). Remove the seeds from each half’s center. I use my hands to de-seed (again, with gloves) or a spoon to scoop out. TIP: If you are one of those people who really like spicy, then go on with your bad self and leave a few seeds in the jalapeño.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir by hand using a rubber spatula (or beat with a handheld mixer if easier) the cream cheese and all the spices until combined.
- Spoon filling in the 24 jalapeño halves. The filling should be evenly dispersed within the jalapeño.
- Wrap each stuffed jalapeño with a half slice of bacon.
- Place sheet in oven and bake for 25-28 minutes or until the bacon looks crisp and juicy. Serve immediately.
Tip: If you want to prep the peppers ahead of time, you can do it 1 day in advance and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake.
And there you have it! Easy and delicious. Be sure to check out our other easy savory recipes.