My dad actually turned me onto these. He started experimenting with different recipes with the goal of making my stressed out mother happy when she return from work each evening. I happened to be living at home at the time and I was super impressed with these! I love any dish that requires only a handful of ingredients because it doesn’t break the bank and is usually easy to whip up. These are low-carb too! Neufchâtel cheese is used instead of cream cheese because its 1/3 less fat. So without further adew…
INGREDIENTS (serves 6: assume 2-4 asparagus bundles per person, depending on how greedy they are)
- 1/2 lb (8 oz.) dry cured Ham Prosciutto, sliced (I use Citterio brand because each slice is lined with parchment paper which makes wrapping the asparagus much easier)
- 1/4 (8 oz.) package Neufchâtel cheese, softened
- 1 lbs asparagus spears, trimmed. Note: sometimes it’s easier to use prepackaged asparagus because they tend to be thinner spears. 1 lbs made 16 bundles for me (3-4 spears per bundle).
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rinse the asparagus with cold water and clip the ends.
- Keeping each slice of prosciutto still attached to its store-lined parchment paper, spread a thin layer of the Neufchâtel cheese onto the slice using a kitchen knife.
- Place 3-4 asparagus spears on one end of the prosciutto slice. Slowly start rolling the prosciutto around the asparagus spears from one end to the other, gently removing the parchment paper as you go. Note: as you detach the asparagus from liner, it may fall apart or rip because it is so thin and fragile. But don’t worry. It will all stay in one place as it cooks.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the oven. Serve Immediately.
That’s it! So tasty and just 3 ingredients. If you’re wondering why no spices are added to the cheese mixture, it’s because the prosciutto itself gives all the flavor you’ll ever need. Trust me, you don’t want to add anything else. Besides, your sodium intake is going to skyrocket.
One bite of these bad boys and your eyes will widen in comfort (that’s no joke; mine did the first time I tried them). Way to go on this one, Dad!
Be sure to check out our other easy savory recipes.